Since 1991, Merlin 200,000 Mile Shops assist Children’s Home + Aid with much needed donations of warm winter clothing for the 40,000+ children they serve yearly with the Snug Hugs for Kids clothing drive.
Children’s Home + Aid is a leading child and family service agency in Illinois. The organization helps children recover their health, their hope, and their faith in the people around them. We link children to a network of opportunity and care, to extended family, teachers, mentors, and the resources of the neighborhood and community.
Our 2017 Snug Hugs for Kids winter clothing drive was a huge success by collecting and delivering 5 tons of clothing to the Mitzi Freidheim Englewood Children’s Home + Aid Center. Items donated were coats and jackets, hats and scarves, mittens and gloves, pants and sweaters, boots and socks. On December 14, 2017, Merlin franchisees, corporate staff and vendor partners delivered all the donations to strategically located Children’s Home + Aid family centers.
“With the cold winter months upon us, many families will need a little extra help to provide their children the necessary winter clothing to allow them to attend school or play outside. A donation of clothing helps warm both the hands and hearts of the local recipient,” said Merlin 200,000 Miles Director of Marketing, Penny McDowell.
Special thanks go out to U.S. AutoForce for their continued support with the pickup and drop off of donation boxes, to all shops that sold Warm Hands & Hearts Red Mittens, and vendor partners who made in kind and monetary donations as follows:
- U.S. AutoForce – $6,000 donation
- Advance AutoParts – $6,000 donation
- Chicago Wolves – $1,000 donation
- Integra Graphics – Snug Hugs Brochures
- Wertheimer Box – Donation Boxes
- WLS-FM – Finale Luncheon at Carnivale
- OnHold USA – Snug Hugs Message on Hold Sountrack
- Resurrection Lutheran Church – Donation of Crochet & Knit-A-Thon Event Space
Highlights of this year included:
- Radio station partners, Alpha Media; 95.9 WERV-FM , 103.9 WFXF-FM, 105.5 WZSR-FM, 96.7 WSSR- FM, 102.3 WXLC-FM, 95.1 WIIL-FM conducted 40+ collection events.
- 101.1 WKQX-FM offered the first 35 concert goers in line early entry to their ” The Nights We Stole Christmas” when they donated a new coat to Snug Hugs for Kids.
- The Chicago Wolves collected clothing donations all season long at their practice facility and at Allstate Arena resulting in a full Wolves box truck.
- 90+ people attended the Crochet & Knit-A-Thon resulting in 30 boxes of beautiful handmade items.
- Knitted items that were sent to Merlin’s Corporate Office from across the country were distributed to 6 additional Children’s Home + Aid centers.
- The Merlin Shop in Crystal Lake sold 1,100 Red Mittens.
- Merlin Shops donated a combined $20,000 to Children’s Home + Aid.
Thank you for doing your part to help the 40,000+ kids and families served by Children’s Home + Aid.